Page navbar

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Truth About Santa Discussion

The Truth About Santa: Wormholes, Robots and What Really Happens on Christmas Eve


by Gregory Mone

genre: non-fiction educational (ok, maybe it's more like fiction for fun)


For every true believer, this book not only confirms your beliefs, but it arms you to prove them.  How many doubters have you met, spoiling the Christmas spirit during the holidays?  How many times have you wanted more fire power than "He's magic"?  Now you've got it.  Full scientific mapping of the methods of Santa to make all his rounds in one night, including the sleigh's true fire power, Santa's assistants and their use of time travel and wormholes, as well as the true role of the elves.  I would take exception to only one thing in this book:  the author's portrayal of Mrs. Claus.  Disparaging Santa's wife landed well out of place here and makes this reader wonder whether the author has some grudge specifically with her, perhaps she turned him down for a date once.  Or maybe he simply has a problem with women in general.  Whichever answer, it seems to me that in a book giving scientific fact, the personal lives of Mr. and Mrs. Claus are clearly unnecessary fields for writing material.

I would point out that the science in this book has been well laid out and backed up with interviews and references, giving this author weighty authority.  Readers may well trust his research when given names of leading scientists currently working on many of the technologies explained herein.  I am grateful for the wealth of information here that gives me the backing I've always longed for when defending the reality of the Jolly Elf.  I fully enjoyed this book as a great tour through the real North Pole.  Therefore, barring the minor slip from authorial protocol, taking fault with Mrs. Claus, this author has done a bang up job.

I offer one warning though.  This book is certainly not for children.  Given the defamation of Mrs. Claus character and some other highly revealing science, this book should only be read by adults.  The information in this book could easily be filtered through an adult to a child needing stronger explanations than the whole magic theory, however, do it carefully.  And on Christmas Eve, take your Santa Claus's life into consideration, stay in bed for Pete's sake.  And don't forget the cookies and milk.

1 comment:

De said...

Confession time: I didn't finish. I sent it back to the library before I went on vacation and then I took with me a fun book by Salman Rushdie called "Luka and the Fire of Life" and a compelling book by Chris Bohjalian (a favorite author of mine), "Midwives."

What I did read of this book I found entertaining, if a little sophomoric, just about what I'd expect from a geeky young science guy, if I were wont to stereotype. You're right that when he had scientific back up, it was solid, but if he didn't, he just seemed to wing it, which I didn't consider a problem for the book, given the subject matter.

I still enjoy fantasy and magic quite a bit, both in reading and in some amorphous but tenaciously held beliefs, but these compulsory characters of childhood are losing their hold on me, perhaps correlative to my children's aging.