Page navbar

Friday, July 30, 2010

Finding Home Discussion...aka Getting Caught Up


I think it's about time to get caught up don't you? Let's begin with Finding Home today. Tomorrow I will post up a discussion for Weekends at Bellevue and Monday we'll open the next book.


Finding Home


by Roisin McAuley


genre: romance


When a film company finds a house in the countryside for their period film, the question of what makes a home home becomes something of a quest for several people. Sometimes it is the physical land and house that generations of your family tree have lived in. Other times it is where a loved one has been buried. But mostly, it's where you give your heart. In the end, finding home for two key women comes from finding love.


It was said of this author that she 'is the new Maeve Binchy'. I have to confess I've never read a Maeve Binchy. However, I want to now. I loved this book. It is one of those guilty pleasures I think. It may not have the loftiness of some worthy books labeled literary fiction, and yet, it spoke to me on a level of common understanding. Universally held feelings and reactions can be appreciated without that label. And it was enjoyable. It often reminded me of Jane Austen's style in that it moved very quickly with constant interaction. The only gripe I had was the stalker ending. I mean it was fun, but it seemed a bit over the top. It just pushed my bounds of acceptance a nudge too far. But given that I enjoyed the entire book despite that, I'd say that nudge is forgivable.


I'm not often a romance reader other than Jane Austen books. In fact, I wasn't sure if you'd classify this as a romance except that it doesn't really fit any other genre that I can pinpoint. It certainly didn't feel like the trashier romance novels that are my quintessential cliche idea of romance books, which is incidentally why I don't really read them. I pretty much loathe those kinds. But this was sweet, a little exploratory of human nature and the conflict in it had a depth beyond the typical 'fiery woman pushes man away because she thinks he's a rogue even though she's terribly attracted to him until they finally end up together' type of story. All of which is to say that I enjoyed it enough to want to read more by Roisin McAuley and to pick up a Maeve Binchy too.


Your turn.

5 comments:

de said...

You will SO love Maeve Binchy. I'm excited for you. Try to read some of the later ones in chronological order, because they have characters that carry over.

I enjoyed this book and whipped through it after I got to know the characters. I had one complaint which was that the author would sometimes have consecutive chapters with the same narrator instead of just continuing the chapter, and that confused me in the beginning.

That it was somewhat predictable did not bother me at all: something I appreciate about a romance is the anticipation of the two lovers getting together.

As a new Catholic and a follower-of-old of the Irish Struggle, I was interested in the story from that angle as well.

I'm glad I had to buy it, and I'm sure I will loan it out.

meno said...

This was an easy read, but i thought it was pretty silly. The "romance" between the sister and the dude she met at the nursing home was completely unfleshed (is that a word)out. They meet, they marry and move off to France. Just like real life, no problems, no issues. Yeah, right.

I also thought the film lady, Louise i think, was annoying. She kept flying off the handle and getting offended.

There were some interesting story lines in the background. Louise's brother and how he went down the path he did. And the guy who went to jail because of a lie. But these were little subplots.

An okay read for an airplane ride, but not very engaging for me.

Sorry.

de said...

Um, why are you sorry?

Maggie said...

I'm with De, don't be sorry. I agree with most of the things you said, which is why I'd categorize it as a guilty pleasure. It's a lot of fluff, but I think fluff is fun.

de said...

This is not the "consensus only" book club.

I think one of the points of the romance genre is that people get carried away by their emotions. If I were a horny old widow, the idea of finding a hot guy at the nursing home and running off to France with him would be pretty appealing. Injecting sensibility into that just takes away from the romance of it. However, since we've been using Maeve Binchy as a comparison, I should mention that her novels always include a bit of strife and things often do not turn out happily.