Page navbar

Monday, November 9, 2009

Listening and Waiting

I recently bought an mp3 download of Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk.

I love listening to books on audio. It is relaxing and I can squeeze in that kind of 'reading' easier throughout my day than sitting with a book. This time I chose Waiting for Columbus based on a post over at Books on the Nightstand by the voice narrator's wife. She moved me so much that I couldn't wait to get it.

I listened and I have to tell you that just listening had the 'can't put it down' affect on me. At one point in the book I couldn't turn off my mp3 player. I just couldn't. And at another point, I lost it. I broke down and sobbed.

This book tells the story of a patient in a mental hospital who believes he is Columbus. He weaves his stories of acquiring his ships for his great voyage and as he does, the truth about who he is, why he is there slowly but exquisitely unravels.

This book is absolutely beautiful with a capital B. Trofimuk dances with words the way Astaire dances with feet. Riddled with humor, sexual tension, mystery and tender feeling, this gets my vote for one the of the best books of 2009. I loved it so much that I plan on buying the hard cover because something that moving has to sit on my shelf. And I plan to read it, and maybe re-read it.

4 comments:

Ann Kingman said...

Oh, you just made my day! I'm so glad you loved it. I can't wait to listen to the audio. I loved the book so much, but need to hear it read aloud now.

Is it OK if I share a link to this post in the comments where Tanya talks about her experience with the audio?

Maggie said...

Ann, absolutely share! I'm so happy I made your day. Your blog and recommendations have peppered my to read list for some time. This one is one of my favorites! Thank you.

Tanya said...

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that you loved the audiobook! After I had posted to Books on the Nightstand, I felt a bit vulnerable, afraid that people would listen to the audio and say "meh!" (or worse!)Thank you for your comments and know you made my day too!

Tanya (dogearedcopy)

Maggie said...

Tanya, I'm honored you stopped by my blog. Posting personal stories can feel very vulnerable, but often it is those truths that draw people, in an age of soundbite, quick sell info coming at us from all angles, I think most of us really appreciate something as honest and touching as your story. Thank you so much for pushing me towards the book and the recording and tell your husband thank you too. I cannot imagine this book in any other voice now, ever.