Page navbar

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Savage Detectives Book Discussion of Sorts

Well now, here we are. I've had word that the last of those I knew who were attempting to read The Savage Detectives has opted out. This was a surprising disappointment I must say. I'm putting a discussion link up for this post just to be sure record shows why there is no discussion. Of course, you're welcome to come leave comments about what you did read of it and why it prompted you to put the book down permanently. Personally I just couldn't take the incessant descriptions of sex that were off color and degrading. I'm no prude. I don't mind sex in context of a story. But this was just overdone and gratuitous to say the least. In the 80 or so pages I ended up reading (so far, if I get all responsible and finish it for the sake of this project) I found no real plot, just a lot of sex.

Moving forward.

2 comments:

Gordo said...

I didn't even make it to the sex. I had an awful time following the "plot". It was more a stream of consciousness thing with little going on except hanging out with the beatniks and pissing off his prof. Ugh.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. :-D

meno said...

What Gordo said. It was all "Then we went here and hung out for a while, and then some random woman almost gave me a blow job, and then we went somwhere else and hung out. After that, i followed someone else somewhere and hung out some more."

WTF?