Page navbar

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Confession

Is anyone out there reading The Savage Detectives? Or have in the past?

I can't stand this book. I'm only about 75 pages in and so far, it's a teenage boy's sex fantasy, on every page. Sex sex sex. Brutal sex. Degrading to women sex. Other sex. More sex. I was wondering if there is any other point to this book? Have I just not reached it yet? Can anyone give me some encouragement to keep going?

I'm having to force myself to read and I hate every minute of it. Now, if there is some redeeming quality to this book that I'm missing or haven't reached yet, I'd be willing to go on.

Help!

9 comments:

de said...

I have been reading The Traveler because I got it first. I am almost done with it. It's good.

The Savage Detectives came in, & I have it.

Gordo said...

You've made a better effort than I did. Bleah.

The Traveller's wicked. :-D I'm ordering book 2 right now.

meno said...

I'm at page 51, and have been stuck there for two weeks. I can't make myself pick up the damn book.

I just don't get it. I'm relieved to hear that i am not alone.

Maggie said...

Well I'm relieved too. From all the media about this book when it first hit the market up here, I thought it was going to be a mind blower. I wouldn't have ever guessed it to be this disappointing. Want to move on guys? I'm certainly ready to put this one aside. If you don't want to give up, I will read it. Let me know.

Maggie said...

Ok, I take that back. I wasn't at all thinking. De since you went to the trouble of getting the book of course I'll keep going while you pick it up.

de said...

No, don't worry about it. Go ahead with the Traveler. It won't disappoint, especially as I know you like sci fi.

I finished it today and will start the Savage Detectives tonight, so I'll know pretty soon what I think of it.

I checked my library for John 12 Hawks' second "Realm" book, and THEY HAVE IT! If you haven't already, check out his page at Random House.

Gordo said...

De, I found The Traveler for $7 at the local Chapters and ordered The Dark River today. :-)

meno said...

Thank you Maggie. I've started Traveler and so far, i'm hooked.

Maggie said...

I'm hooked too. From the first chapter - now that's good reading