Page navbar

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

She's So Lonely

You may have noticed I futzed with the calendar, yet again. So, I'm checking in to see if any of you are ready to start discussing In Defense of Food. If so, I'd like to kick that off tomorrow. And I'm scheduling a book opening for Thursday. That way we can get leaping on acquiring the book, by hook or crook (in other words: borrow or buy)

----------------

I have this crazy idea. It started with my honeymoon. Before the wedding, long before, we decided we were heading south of the border to stay in Cancun. An affordable vacation spot for newly weds. Well for us. So I ordered The Lonely Planet Mexico edition and read that thing from cover to cover. I memorized the Cancun section but found myself absolutely eating up the whole book. Maybe it's the itchy traveller in me that was drawn to it.

Recently I was thinking about that book and how much I loved it. Then I went to the Lonely Planet website and I was blown away. They have so many books. And there is so much world to learn. So, my crazy idea that I would like to do, probably over several years, is to read each country book one at a time. Imagine the education. At least in getting a picture of where in the world places are, and how they live - to an extent of course. Yeah.

What kind of crazy reading ideas have you pursued or been kicking around in your noggin? Do you read the Lonely Planet for pleasure reading?

6 comments:

meno said...

Rick Steves has a travel radio show on the weekends here that i listen to and dream.

Gordo said...

Omigod, Lonely Planet is an incredible company. My wife is a "long-haul and adventure" travel agent and she uses and recommends LP books all the time. The website is even better because it's updated constantly.

I'm not ready yet. My book is steadily gaining weight with the book darts, though. :-)

de said...

me neither - I have been consumed by valentine crafts this week.

Maggie said...

Ok guys, let's put it off a few more days. How about Friday, would that work or would you prefer next Monday? Let me know.

Well since you're still working through this one, that means you haven't even had a chance to get or start Naked. We better wait on the book opening too then.

Gordo said...

I just checked and Naked is back in at the library ...

Maggie said...

Right on Gordo.